Monday, April 22, 2013

Military Monday - Private Isaac Farver

One of the things that I have discovered as I have journeyed into the past with my family history is that I actually come from a line of patriots from several generations and several different wars.  Today's Military Monday post is about yet another of those patriots, my 2nd Great Grandfather, Isaac Farver.  It is jokingly somewhat of a point of contention in my household now that I live in the South, but I am proud to say that Isaac fought for the Union in the Civil War (down here in the South, it's known as the War of Northern Aggression) as part of Company C, 35th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
According to Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Vol. II 1861-1865 (W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, Indianapolis: State Printer, 1865), the 35th Regiment, Indiana Infantry was organized originally as an Irish Regiment and mustered in at Indianapolis on December 11, 1861.  The regiment, known as The First Irish, was commanded by Col. John C. Walker.  The regiment spent most of the war in the state of Tennessee participating in several engagements including the Battle of Chickmauga, the First and Third Battles of Chattanooga and the Atlanta Campaign.

As you can see from the copy of Isaac's muster record, he was not an original member of the First Irish.  Isaac became part of the Regiment as a drafted replacement on 6 October 1864.  By this point, I have to wonder if the unit was still referred to as the First Irish since Isaac and most of his fellow replacements were not Irish Americans.  Isaac stayed with the Regiment through the rest of their time in service until the entire Regiment mustered out at Victoria, Texas on 30 September 1865.  I spent some time going through the service history of the 35th Regiment and lining that up with Isaac's enlistment date to compile a rough timeline of what battles he may have seen.

6 Oct 1864 - Isaac Farver is drafted and musters in at Kendalville, Indiana.

Sept 1864 to 3 Nov - 35th Indiana participates in operations against General Hood in Northern Alabama and Georgia

November - December 1864 - Nashville Campaign

24 Nov to 27 Nov 1864 - Battle of Columbia

30 Nov 1864 - 2nd Battle of Franklin

15 Dec to 16 Dec 1864 - Battle of Nashville

17 Dec to 28 Dec 1864 - 35th Regiment helps pursue General Hood to the Tennessee River

January 1865 to March 1865 - 35th Regiment is stationed in Huntsville, AL

15 March to 22 Apr 1865 - 35th moves into eastern Tennessee and conducts operations

In late April, the 35th was sent to Nashville where they remained until June when they were sent further south.  The regiment arrived in New Orleans on 16 June 1865.

July 1865 - Ordered to Texas

July 1865 to 30 Sept 1865 - Duty in and around Victoria, Texas.

30 Sept 1865 - 35th Regiment Indiana Infantry is mustered out at Victoria, Texas.

I have a great deal more research to do on Isaac's service in the Civil War.  My hope and desire is to dig into the detailed history of the battles in Tennessee in late 1864 and look for mentions of the 35th Regiment or maybe even Company C (since he was only a Private, I don't hold much hope of finding mentions of him specifically) as well as find further original documentation of what my Great Great Grandfather may have seen or done during that year that he spent fighting in the Civil War.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this entry. My great-grandfather, Henry Mowder, was also at the Battle of Franklin in November 1864. He was with the 65th Indiana. You might like to read a book entitled *Company Aytch* by Sam Watkins. It is a personal memoir of a Confederate soldier and includes a powerful description of the carnage at Franklin. Though Watkins was shooting at my grandfather, so to speak, his account of the battle helped me to feel in a small, vicarious way what Henry Mowder might have seen, heard, and thought. Recently I also read *The Battle of Franklin, Tennessee, November 30, 1864: A Statement of the Erroneous Claims Made by General Schofield, and an Exposition of the Blunder Which Opened the Battle* by Capt. John K. Shellenberger, who was a participant on the Union side in the battle. Perhaps you have already read these; if so, please forgive me, but I share your enthusiasm for this subject. I'm inspired to write about Henry Mowder at Franklin now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the feedback. I have not read either of the books that you mention, but I am definitely going to pick them up now. My research into Isaac's service has just started, and I'm pretty sure that it will end up being a collaborative effort with my younger brother who is a bit of a Civil War historian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great uncle who served with the Indiana 10th. I believe that group was involved with the Battle of Franklin. I've visited Carnton Plantation where a Union hospital was established. There is a cemetery there where soldiers from various states were buried. Robert Hicks wrote a novel called Widow of the South which uses Carnton has the location. I'm told that the parts about the battle are documented. Also the Carter House in Franklin is part of an interesting incident in the battle. I, too, live in the South but have Union Army ancestors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...