Sunday, April 21, 2013

Census Sunday - 1900 Marseilles Township, Wyandot County, Ohio

1900 U.S. Census - Marseilles Twp., Wyandot County, Ohio
In a post this past week, I talked about a discovery that I had made regarding my great grandfather and an apparent first marriage that neither my mother nor her siblings knew about.  I started to do a bit more research on the issue during the week, and one of the first places that I turned was to the United States Census for 1900 because when I first pulled that Census record, I knew that it showed Frank Hill living with his parents.  I had not done a complete examination of this record and hoped that upon a full analysis, it might reveal more information.  My hope proved fruitful!

Upon pulling up the Census record, I found the family of Samuel Hill (my great great grandfather) starting on line 69 of sheet 2 for Enumeration District 126.  My great grandfather, Frank, appears on line 71.  Thankfully, in 1900, the U.S. Census asked the one key piece of information that I was looking for in this case - marital status.  As you can see from the zoomed and cropped excerpt below, in column 9, Frank Hill has a D for his marital status, indicating that indeed, in 1900, he had been married once before and was now divorced.


Since divorce records from the late 1800's in Wyandot County are not digitized and online at this point, I have a new item to add to my list for a research trip to Ohio!  At least I can be thankful that the marriage was relatively short, so I only have a few years worth of records to search through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...