Monday, March 25, 2013

Surname Saturday - Washler

For my first "Surname Saturday" post, I thought I would start off with the surname that started me on my quest...

Surname:  Washler

Variations: The Washler name actually has just a few variations, but the root of all of the variations is the original German: Wuerschler.  The other German variation that I have found is Wörschler.  From the originals, the variations that have developed are Washler, Warshler, Wastler and most prevalent - Warstler.

Origin: The furthest back that I have traced the name is to Johann Andreas Wuerschler (1620-1665) in Germany.  Much of the information that I have from the German roots is sketchy right now, but the name came over to American around 1752 with Johann Heinrich Wörschler.  The name first appears in Ohio in the Stark County around Canton.

From Stark County, the Wörschler/Washler/Warstler family has spread to several counties in Ohio and Indiana.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Geneabloggers!

    Regards, Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Geneabloggers. I keep my eye out for people with German ancestry because so many of the blogs are focused on early American surnames like Foster or Smithfield. Now here you are with an early German-American surname. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to GeneaBloggers! I started my genealogy blog and joined GeneaBloggers almost a year ago. It's a wonderful community.

    Congrats on starting your genealogy blog!

    Best regards,

    Jana

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...