Saturday, March 16, 2013

Surname Saturday - Nicholls (A path to royalty?)

This Saturday, I'm highlighting one of the family Surnames that I know the least about so far, yet it has the possibility to be one of my more interesting roots - if I ever get there.

Surname: Nicholls

Variations:  Really the only variation that I have found so far is Nichols, though I imagine that I am going to find more before this hunt is over.

Origins:  As I said earlier, this surname is the one in my family that I seem to know the least about.  I have traced it back as far as my 3rd great Grandfather, John B. Nicholls (1791-1858).  Having said that, I don't have enough evidence to say I have a definitive connection to John Nicholls.  Assuming that connection proves to be solid, the family appears to have started out in Maryland in the United States.  From there, they migrated west through Virginia and Ohio and finally settling in Indiana (at least my branch of the family).  The family "legend" says that the family came possibly from Great Britain, but as I said, that is purely "legend" at this point.

Legend to be chased:  The most interesting family "legend" that I have found so far relates to the Nicholls family.  According to one of my Aunts, somewhere back in the line of my Great Grandmother, Nettie Nicholls, the family line can be traced back to royalty.  The story says that somewhere back through the roots of the Nicholls family, we are related to Mary Stewart, also known as Mary, Queen of Scots.  I have no doubt that once I begin following that line, it should be easy enough to prove or disprove a connection to such a prominent line.  Only time will tell!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog. As I type this we are driving through Ohio on our way to Baltimore. In 2 hours we will be making a pit stop at an old cemetery in Berlin, pa. My 7th great grandfather is buried there. I'm so excited:) He is also my Patroit!! My husband has graciously agreed to get off the toll road and allow me this small adventure! I look forward to reading more of your post.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...